Friday, April 11, 2008

Beijing Hutongs School and Home - March 17

A Hutong is a community in Beijing made up of narrow streets and alleys. We visited a school and a home in one of the hutongs.

My leg was still bothering me but I could walk some. I have wanted to see one of these for a long time so I joined the group for this part of the tour.

It started with taking a pedicab into the hutong.



We first visited a elementary school. Students in China wear red scarfs. First picture is kids from our group with the school principal.





Video at school



Another short video from school



We visited a house within the hutong. The rooms are in a square with a center courtyard. The rooms are not connected from inside so you have to go outside to get to another room. The kitchen and dinning are room are in one building but still have to go outside to get to them too. This family grows fruits and vegetables in their courtyard. Because it is winter here, things are not growing now. I bet it is beautiful in summer.



We got some video that might show it better.






Next we were to go fly kites at Tiananmen Square but Laurens cold was getting the better of her and by this point I was back to using wheel chair. This morning I had checked us into the Beijing Hilton we went back to the hotel.

No comments: