Saturday, March 15, 2008

Temple of Heaven - Good News and Bad News

Day started with breakfast buffet at the hotel. It was again excellent. We were able to have many traditional Chinese dishes with congee, cooked Chinese greens, variety of breads but also eggs made to order, American cereals like rice krispies and corn flakes. We had something new called Hawthorne juice. The girls have liked a candy called Haw so we thought it might be the same. It was wonderful. Also had congee which is a sort of rice soup but can add things to it which makes it even better. I am not sure what I added - something like a marinated vegetables. I have made congee before but it is these added ingredients which make it so good.

We then headed to Temple of Heaven. The children were giving a traditional Chinese toy, can't think of the name right now, that is kicked with their feet or arms. Temple of Heaven is one of those morning places were people meet to exercise, visit, play games, and music. It was mostly retired people. Retirement age in China is 50-55 for women and 55-60 for men. I got some short videos of some of the activities but have just put on one.

First I should explain, I cannot view my blog from China. I can preview but so far video is not showing up in the preview. So I hope I picked the videos showing the activities or perhaps it is video of the children playing with the kick toys.


The Chinese at one time considered the Temple of Heaven the center of the earth. It is a beautiful building and amazingly built with no nails.

We each have a camera so we are getting lots of pictures. However I am having a little trouble getting the pictures on and I accidently hit the button to publish. Since I mentioned bad news, I best go to that and go back and add pictures.

When getting on the bus, after leaving Temple of Heaven, I stepped wrong getting on the bus and I pulled something - it feels like a sprain - and cannot walk. I missed the market tour and Peking Duck dinner. Looks like tomorrow will be missing the Great Wall. I can't begin to say how disappointed I am. Yes I have seen these things before but wanted to see them with Anna and Lauren and you can't see the Great Wall too many times.

We were scheduled to come back to hotel after market tour but on the way our guide made phone calls and had wheel chair waiting when we arrived. This is when having a guide is really important.

It gets worse. Lauren has been having a fever which we were treating. Tonight she had bloody nose. She has only had 1 or 2 small ones but this one made up for them. This is where being a hands on Dad is good because Stan handled it. Two rolls of toilet paper later we thought it had stopped, she sneezed and it started again, finally he went to put her in bed, and it started again. It went on for more then half hour. She is such a little trooper. Again this is where guide is helpful. Instead of calling front desk and trying to explain, I just called her and she called and explained to them in Chinese.

Tomorrows schedule is long - won't be back till 9 PM. We are thinking she should stay at hotel since it was very late before she went to sleep. They were both very tired after today and still did not get to sleep till late and very late for Lauren.

Going to try and add another picture. I may have figured out better way to add pictures.


 

Posted by Picasa

No comments: